Preprints and submitted papers
- B Miller, W Wolfe, JL Gentry, MG Grewal, CB Highley, R De Vita, MH Vaughan*, SR Caliari*, “Supramolecular fibrous hydrogel augmentation of uterosacral ligament suspension for treatment of pelvic organ prolapse,” bioRxiv, 522930 (2023).
- JL Sumey, PC Johnston, AM Harrell, SR Caliari, “Hydrogel mechanics regulate fibroblast DNA methylation and chromatin condensation,” bioRxiv, 520341 (2022).
Publications at UVA
- BJ Miller, BK Jones, JS Turner, SR Caliari, MH Vaughan, “Development of a uterosacral ligament suspension rat model,” Journal of Visualized Experiments, 186: e64311 (2022).
- IM Basurto, SA Muhammad, GM Gardner, GJ Christ, SR Caliari, “Controlling scaffold conductivity and pore size to direct myogenic cell alignment and differentiation,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 110(10): 1681-1694 (2022).
- IM Basurto, JA Passipieri, GM Gardner, KK Smith, AR Amacher, AI Hansrisuk, GJ Christ*, SR Caliari*, “Photoreactive hydrogel stiffness influences volumetric muscle loss repair,” Tissue Engineering Part A, 28(7-8): 312-329 (2022). bioRxiv preprint.
- E Hui, JL Sumey, SR Caliari, “Click-functionalized hydrogel design for mechanobiology investigations,” Molecular Systems Design & Engineering, 6: 670-707 (2021).
- IM Basurto, MT Mora, GM Gardner, GJ Christ, SR Caliari, “Aligned and electrically conductive 3D collagen scaffolds for skeletal muscle tissue engineering,” Biomaterials Science, 9(11): 4040-4053 (2021). bioRxiv preprint.
- B Miller, A Hansrisuk, CB Highley, SR Caliari, “Guest-host supramolecular assembly of injectable hydrogel nanofibers for cell encapsulation,” ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, 7(9): 4164-4174 (2021). bioRxiv preprint.
- E Hui, L Moretti, TH Barker, SR Caliari, “The combined influence of viscoelastic and adhesive cues on fibroblast spreading and focal adhesion organization,” Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering, 14: 427-440 (2021). bioRxiv preprint.
- ML Grubb, SR Caliari, “Fabrication approaches for high-throughput and biomimetic disease modeling,” Acta Biomaterialia, 132: 52-82 (2021).
- DB Unal, SR Caliari*, KJ Lampe*, “3D hyaluronic acid hydrogels for modeling oligodendrocyte progenitor cell behavior as a function of matrix stiffness,” Biomacromolecules, 21(12): 4962-4971 (2020). bioRxiv preprint.
- E Hui, KI Gimeno, G Guan, SR Caliari, “Spatiotemporal control of viscoelasticity in phototunable hyaluronic acid hydrogels,” Biomacromolecules, 20(11): 4126-4134 (2019). bioRxiv preprint.
- DB Unal, SR Caliari, KJ Lampe, “Engineering biomaterial microenvironments to promote myelination in the central nervous system,” Brain Research Bulletin, 152: 159-174 (2019).
- JD Tang, SR Caliari, KJ Lampe, “Temperature-dependent complex coacervation of engineered elastin-like polypeptide and hyaluronic acid polyelectrolytes,” Biomacromolecules, 19(10): 3925-3935 (2018).
Publications prior to UVA
- Z Gong, SE Szczesny, SR Caliari, EE Charrier, O Chaudhuri, X Cao, Y Lin, RL Mauck, PA Janmey, JA Burdick, VB Shenoy, “Matching material and cellular timescales maximizes cell spreading on viscoelastic substrates,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 115(12): E2686-E2695 (2018).
- YC Yeh, EA Corbin, SR Caliari, L Ouyang, SL Vega, R Truitt, L Han, KB Marguiles, JA Burdick, “Mechanically dynamic PDMS substrates to investigate changing cell environments,”Biomaterials, 145: 23-32 (2017).
- BD Cosgrove, KL Mui, TP Driscoll, SR Caliari, KD Mehta, RK Assoian, JA Burdick, RL Mauck, “N-cadherin adhesive interactions modulate matrix mechanosensing and fate commitment of mesenchymal stem cells,” Nature Materials, 15(12): 1297-1306 (2016).
- SR Caliari*, SL Vega*, M Kwon, EM Soulas, JA Burdick, “Dimensionality and spreading influence MSC YAP/TAZ signaling in hydrogel environments,” Biomaterials, 103: 314-323 (2016).
- SR Caliari, JA Burdick, “A practical guide to hydrogels for cell culture,” Nature Methods, 13(5): 405-414 (2016).
- SR Caliari, M Perepelyuk, EM Soulas, GY Lee, RG Wells*, JA Burdick*, “Gradually softening hydrogels for modeling hepatic stellate cell behavior during fibrosis regression,” Integrative Biology, 8(6): 720-728 (2016).
- SR Caliari, M Perepelyuk, BD Cosgrove, SJ Tsai, GY Lee, RL Mauck, RG Wells, JA Burdick, “Stiffening hydrogels for investigating the dynamics of hepatic stellate cell mechanotransduction during myofibroblast activation,” Scientific Reports, 6: 21387 (2016).
- T Yokohama-Tamaki, K Otsu, H Harada, S Shibata, N Obara, K Irie, A Taniguchi, T Nagasawa, K Aoki, SR Caliari, DW Weisgerber, BAC Harley, “CXCR4/CXCL12 signaling impacts enamel progenitor cell proliferation and motility in the dental stem cell niche,” Cell and Tissue Research, 362(3): 633-642 (2015).
- SR Caliari, DW Weisgerber, WK Grier, Z Mahmassani, MD Boppart, BAC Harley, “Collagen scaffolds incorporating coincident gradations of instructive structural and biochemical cues for osteotendinous junction engineering,” Advanced Healthcare Materials, 4(6): 831-837 (2015).
- DW Weisgerber, SR Caliari, BAC Harley, “Mineralized collagen scaffolds induce hMSC osteogenesis and matrix remodeling,” Biomaterials Science, 3(3): 533-542 (2015).
- SR Caliari, EA Gonnerman, WK Grier, DW Weisgerber, JM Banks, AJ Alsop, JS Lee, RC Bailey, BAC Harley, “Collagen scaffold arrays for combinatorial screening of biophysical and biochemical regulators of cell behavior,” Advanced Healthcare Materials, 4(1): 58-64 (2015).
- SR Caliari, BAC Harley, “Collagen-GAG scaffold biophysical properties bias MSC lineage choice in the presence of mixed soluble signals,” Tissue Engineering Part A, 20(17-18): 2463-2472 (2014).
- SR Caliari, BAC Harley, “Structural and biochemical modification of a collagen scaffold to selectively enhance MSC tenogenic, chondrogenic, and osteogenic differentiation,” Advanced Healthcare Materials, 3(7): 1086-1096 (2014).
- SR Caliari, LC Mozdzen, O Armitage, ML Oyen, BAC Harley, “Periodically-perforated core-shell collagen biomaterials balance cell infiltration, bioactivity, and mechanical properties,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 102(4): 917-927 (2014).
- DW Weisgerber, DO Kelkhoff, SR Caliari, BAC Harley, “The impact of discrete compartments of a multi-compartment collagen–GAG scaffold on overall construct biophysical properties,”Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 28: 26-36 (2013).
- SR Caliari, BAC Harley, “Composite growth factor supplementation strategies to enhance tenocyte bioactivity in aligned collagen-GAG scaffolds,” Tissue Engineering Part A, 19(9-10): 1100-1112 (2013).
- DW Weisgerber, SR Caliari, BAC Harley, “Synthesis of layered, graded bioscaffolds,” Structural Interfaces and Attachments in Biology, 351-371 (2013).
- SR Caliari, DW Weisgerber, MA Ramirez, DO Kelkhoff, BAC Harley, “The influence of collagen–glycosaminoglycan scaffold relative density and microstructural anisotropy on tenocyte bioactivity and transcriptomic stability,” Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 11: 27-40 (2012).
- SR Caliari, MA Ramirez, BAC Harley, “The development of collagen-GAG scaffold-membrane composites for tendon tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, 32(34): 8990-8998 (2011).
- SR Caliari, BAC Harley, “The effect of anisotropic collagen-GAG scaffolds and growth factor supplementation on tendon cell recruitment, alignment, and metabolic activity,” Biomaterials, 32(23): 5330-5340 (2011).
- SR Caliari, BAC Harley, “Collagen-GAG materials,” Comprehensive Biomaterials, 279-302 (2011).
- TA Martin*, SR Caliari*, PD Williford, BA Harley*, RC Bailey*, “The generation of biomolecular patterns in highly porous collagen-GAG scaffolds using direct photolithography,” Biomaterials, 32(16): 3949-3957 (2011).
* denotes equal author contribution